Thursday, June 17, 2010

Plums & Grasses Necklace

The theme for this month's Artbeads.com design partner blog program is Summer! Summer places, Summer activities or just the season in general. One of my favorite places to visit here during the Summer months is Plum Island, known for the beach plums that still grow on it.  It's a small barrier island off the Massachusetts east coast. I decided to use this place as my inspiration as I choose my materials from Artbeads.com.

This Sea Grass ceramic pendant by Marsha Neal, reminds me of the tall, green grasses that grow along the outskirts of the sandy beaches. A sterling silver dragonfly charm accents the pendant, as dragonflies flutter about these tall grasses. I tied up the pendant and charm with three strands of these plum/iris matte glass seed beads for a bail. Next, I picked out this fancy, plum-dyed silk satin cord to represent the plums that grow on bushes along the island. This silk cord came stuffed with chiffon. I un-stuffed it, so I could thread a section of silk onto this dark brown leather cord for the necklace. I wire-wrapped the silk section to the leather cord with a little sterling silver wire. I wanted to add a rustic touch to contrast with the silk and give the necklace a more casual feel. I left most of the leather cord showing and finished the the ends off with a simple loop and bead closure. Now, I'm ready for my walk along Plum Island!

Disclaimer: Artbeads.com has sent me the above mentioned beads, pendants, and/or findings to create with as part of their design partner blog program. I have not been paid by Artbeads.com to participate. Thank you.

2 comments:

I live for comments! Please do share your thoughts...